The Mar Thoma Yuvajana Sakhyam was organized with a view that all the young people in the Church should accept Jesus Christ as their saviour and Lord, and bear witness to His saving power. It was organized in 1933 by a resolution of the Sabha Prathinidhi Mandalam. The first president of the Sakhyam was Rev.V P Mammen and the Vice- Presidents were Rev. K E Oommen and Rev. C M John (later Juhanon Mar Thoma Metropolitan) and the first Secretary was Mr. V E Thomas (later Rev. V E Thomas, Singapore). Branches of the Sakhyam were set up in the Parishes with a four-fold programme of worship, study, witness and service. Mr. M M Thomas (later Dr. M M Thomas) was appointed as Organising Secretary in 1945 and he was the full time worker of the Sakhyam. Under his dynamic leadership, the Sakhyam struck deep roots and spread its branches far and wide.
Most of the Parishes both inside and outside Kerala have branches of the Sakhyam. A group of such branches form a center. There are a number of such Centres under each Diocese. The Constitution of the Sakhaym prescribes that the President should be a Bishop of the Church.
The current president of the Mar Thoma Yuvajana Sakhyam is Rt. Rev. Dr. Thomas Mar Theethos Episcopa and Rev. John Mathew. C serves as the General Secretary.
• The inaugural meeting of the Mar Thoma Yuvajana Sakhyam, Diocese of North America & Europe was held on July 4, 1998 at the Boston Family conference. The Most Rev. Dr. Alexander Mar Thoma Metropolitan delivered the inaugural address and Rt. Rev. Dr. Zacharias Mar Theophilus Thirumeni conducted the presidential address.
• The Diocese has 33 registered Yuvajana Sakhyam Sakhas spread across 7 regions. The activities of the region include regional conferences, kalamelas, retreat and prayer nights.
• Yuvadhara is the quarterly publication of the Mar Thoma Yuvajana Sakhyam of the Diocese of North America and Europe which contains articles of interest for the youth and devotional studies.
• The mission activities of the Yuvajana Sakhyam of this Diocese is coordinated by the mission board which is instrumental in conducting monthly devotional meetings, medical camps and is also involved in various mission activities across the Diocese and in India.
• Diocesan conferences are held biannually and this is a platform where many Yuvajana Sakhyam members cherish their relationship with other members of the Diocese and build their journey of faith with God. The first Diocesan Yuvajana Sakhyam conference was hosted by the Farmers Branch Mar Thoma Church, Dallas in 1998 and since then we have had 20 conferences.
• To Equip the youth & young families to accept Jesus Christ as Lord, God and Saviour.
• To enable the youth & young families of the Mar Thoma Church to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord, God and Saviour.
• To help the youth & young families of the church to grow in to the totality of Christ.
• To train the youth & young families of the Church in the worship and fellowship of Christian life.
• To have participation of the youth & young families in the mission of the Church.
• To instill love and faith towards the Church and Christian values & to help the over all growth of the Church
• To organize and conduct training camps, meetings, discussions, and classes to improve the knowledge of the youth in the Holy Bible, church’s faith and practice, Ecumenism and in current social affairs.
• To establish Sakhyam Sakhas in all Parishes to fulfill the above objectives.
• To equip the youth & young families in worship, study, witness and service to fulfill the above objectives.